Sunday, September 17, 2006

Free "Parallels" for Mac OS X

I want to run Ubuntu virtual machine on OS X, but don't want to pay for Parallels Desktop. So I was searching for few alternatives, and stumbled across one such tool. This one is called "Q" (pronounced "kju"). I installed it, and was able to create an Ubuntu virtual machine effortlessly. Even easier than VMware Workstation.

So I now have Ubuntu running under Mac OS X, with the help of Q.



Then I also tried Ubuntu and Kanotix Live CDs in Q - Both of which worked flawlessly. I tried installing Windows 98 SE in Q just for the sake of experimenting, but it wouldn't boot from a bootable CD! Don't know why!

In a nutshell, If you want to run another OS on your Mac without rebooting, Q is a formidable candidate.

4 comments:

B said...

question. so could i run windows programs off of this or no? obrent@gmail.com
Brent

Anil Kumar said...

Yes Brent, you can. But in my opinion, the speed of Qju is best described as slow. Try it out, and post your experience here!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Q is extremely slow. I want to be able to run Ubuntu on my Mac just like any other OS, but at this rate I'm going to have to fork out money for Parallel.

Shrike said...

Hey if i installed avg free 8.5 using Q would it work fine??, or would i need xp??